Nicole Ruzinski English 100

Friday, April 29, 2005

Heb 14

Sitting outside shows a whole new life in Madison with everyone out enjoying the sun, relaxing out on fresh cut grass, playing Frisbee, laughing talking; suddenly studying doesn’t seem so bad when you can work on your tan at the same time. The campus has this new life and vitality to it that wasn’t here last fall. It’s sad this must come at the end of a school year, just when everything seems right.
Everyone always says how things go so fast; but really everything does seem to pass by at lightning speed. I swear it was about a month ago that I moved in to my dorm room, this little closet space. At least it forces me to keep everything neat or else I’d have no where to sleep. Maybe it’s the fact that I’ve had three roommates this year. I know it’s a lot but I’ve had a great roommate for the spring semester. It seems everything really started in January.
Somehow, everything is now comfortable and familiar. Last semester just felt like a whirlwind of activities, trying to find that perfect group of friends, doing well in classes. It felt like I never had a chance to take a break. It was like high school all over again with little cliques forming and people finding their home. It’s weird to think these are the friends I can make and have for the rest of my life.
Even sitting in a lecture seems weird. I remember last summer I never thought I would get used to living here. I didn’t feel prepared for anything. Now a big lecture hall seems natural, like I’ve learning like this for years. Everything seems oddly independent and it’s scary how easy it was to forget about home and even people I knew. I can feel high school friends growing farther apart. But what can you do when you try to go forward and everyone else seems to be holding you back?
I wish I didn’t have to leave so soon. Sure, I’ll see people again next year, even over the summer. It just won’t be the same. Why when everything is finally comfortable do we always have to leave?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home