Nicole Ruzinski English 100

Friday, February 11, 2005

HEB 4

Yes I Went to An All Girls School, And Yes I’m Normal

Many people have preconceptions when they think of a private school, often uniforms and a bunch of spoiled rich kids. Now when you had Catholic on top of that, people think of nuns with rulers patrolling the hall ways. The cherry on top of this sundae is adding a single-sex environment, in this case all girls. Wow, have I gotten some strange looks around here for that one. People assume we’re all snobby, catty girls preparing to be nuns. Really, we’re nothing like that at all. Now of course there are a few bad apples to spoil the bunch, but I think going to an all-girls high school was the greatest place to learn and I think it’s a good thing for all girls.
I think one huge advantage comes in the classroom. We focus solely on our academics and are put first in the classroom. Believe me, no one cared what they looked like and some girls considered regular showers optional. I know a little gross, but the big picture here is we didn’t need to care. According to the National Association for Single Sex Education, girls in a single-sex environment will tend to take more challenging science and math classes and also later choose college majors in more diverse fields. Girls are expected to be assertive and take a stand for what they believe in. We were a school of women led by women and I don’t think we could have had it any other way.
There is also a difference in athletic programs. Traditionally at a coed school, a lot of money will be put into the football teams and boy’s basketballs teams, basically the events that will draw in a big crowd. At an all-girls school, of course, every sport receives attention. Sure us golf team members may not have drawn a lot of spectators, but we were still given proper equipment and recognition in the school. We also had a very unique and special team to our school and that was our rugby team. I don’t think there are many coed high schools with a national champion girl’s rugby team. In a school with a big football team and basketball team, would our rugby team really survive?
The greatest things I think I’ve taken away from my experience are friendships and a sense of solidarity. I’m sure many people think we are all very particular in who we can sit with and surely have our cliques. The truth is there were cliques; people are always going to bond with those they have something in common with, but these cliques were not entirely exclusive and there was never any hostility. I never felt uncomfortable being friends with girls during the school week who I would never hang out with on the weekend. Those things didn’t matter and I know that there are 143 other girls from my class who would agree. You are surrounded with other girls who know exactly how you feel when you’re going through anything because they’ve been there too.
So yes, I had to wear a nice uniform, plaid skirt and all, for four years. And yes, there are boys at our dances. A single-sex education is the best thing I could recommend for any girl to find out who you are, what you want to be, and what life means to you. Yes, I went to and all-girls and high school and yes I am completely normal!

Source:
“Advantages for Girls.” National Association for Single Sex Education. 2004. 11 Feb. 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home