Nicole Ruzinski English 100

Friday, April 22, 2005

Heb 14

Since beginning this year of school I have found a new love: Sex and the City. I had never seen the show before, but hearing my friends just rave about it, I knew I must be missing something good. After I couldn’t convince my mom that the entire series on DVD would be an excellent investment, I began to borrow my friends. I spent every spare moment watching episodes and traveling through the seasons and years with Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha. Somehow I feel connected to these four women as they make their way through the best city in the world: New York City. Maybe what makes them so familiar is the way that these four women remind me of my four best friends here at school. Our conversations don’t go quite as far into the gutter, but we definitely cover a wide range of topics that usually leave us laughing till our stomachs hurt. Like the Sex and the City girls have come to take a special place in my heart just like my best friends.
First there’s Charlotte York, ultimate WASP and the most conservative of the group. She’s an eternal optimist, always believing love and the right answer is just around the corner. Liz would definitely be just like Charlotte. I don’t know if it’s even possible, but Liz is probably even more conservative. She certainly is the most innocent member or our group and is easily offensive by some of the Sex and the City conversations. But that’s why we love her, for her innocence and genuine belief that everything will be okay.
On the complete other side of the spectrum is Samantha. She’s completely free with her lifestyle and just seems to be missing that self-censorship we all need to use sometimes. My friend Danelle would fit her almost to a tee. Danelle definitely does not have quite the active social life, but she certainly doesn’t think about what she says till after it comes out. The scary thing, she says this is tame compared to how she used to be. I don’t think any person could possibly reference sex more than Danelle. It is surely a certain art form that many should not strive for.
Next there’s Miranda, completely cynical and sarcastic towards life. She always has the perfect pessimistic view towards any situation and is always waiting for the bottom to fall out. Jess definitely, out of any of us, knows how to put life into perspective. Sometimes you have to expect things to not be great and that’s just the way it is. She certainly is sarcastic and has a sharp punch line for everything. She’s always great when you just need a laugh.
Last but certainly not least, there’s Carrie, the glue that holds the groups together. She’s always the first one you call when something goes wrong and always willing to help everyone. My friend Val is the person that everyone can go to. You can talk to her about anything and she’s really the one that holds the whole group together. She’s the unequivocal leader.
Somehow we all came together to make a group. It feels like a great privilege just to take a part in their lives. Hopefully, will all be together still talking and laughing into our thirties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home