Nicole Ruzinski English 100

Friday, April 15, 2005

Heb 12

My 19th birthday is sure to be one I will never forget. On April 1, 2005 the world learned of the grave state of the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II. My Birthday and the following afternoon were filled with confusion and anxiety waiting for his death to come. Celebrating something happy seemed so wrong when so many in the world were grieving.
I’d have to admit I am certainly not a perfect Catholic, but the death of the leader of my faith shook me. It is a grief that is hard to put into words. You feel a loss, but it’s a person you’ve never met before that somehow seems like a close friend. I watched my friend, much more active in her faith, emotionally break down after his death and subsequently his funeral. It’s just one of those things that seems so surreal when it’s happening; it’s like watching a movie, in a separate time than us. The death of the Pope certainly shook up a billion Catholics and the world.
Watching the millions of people flood to Rome mad me feel less alone and less scared. We all came together in our faith and were there for each other, separate from politics and other world tension. At a time when it seemed all were coming together, I was appalled by the actions and remarks of my fellow students here in Madison.
I heard some people on my floor wondering what the big deal was since we obviously aren’t living in Rome. I found thoughts like this extremely disrespectful to Catholics on this campus and everywhere. The Pope was and is a world leader; sure, he may not run a big country, but his and the Church’s stance on world issues affects the opinions of followers. Also, while the Pope is exclusively the leader of the Catholic Church, he still stands as a symbol of Christianity in the world. It’s a “big deal” when any world leader dies and we must be respectful of them and their people.
One way respect is shown around the world is lowering flags to half-staff. It is appalling that people are claiming showing respect for religious and world leaders is a violation of church and state. The separation of church and state is a freedom of religion, meaning people are able to choose what ever religion they want to practice and the government will not declare an official religion. However, that discussion is for another time and place. People from the Madison area were mentioned on national news for protesting the President’s decree. It seems that the many people who claim it disrespects those not of Catholic faith need to remember that earning respect requires giving respect. The death of such a vast leader should be a chance for us to unite together and not seek more ways to tear the world apart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home